Monday, August 23, 2010

A flickr here a flickr there. Module 4

Yes another week has gone and I'm getting more attached to the internet and all it has to offer. This week sees me playing with Flickr. Because what might be ok for me but not others it is important to filter my content. At a safety level it can be safe- suitable for a global audience, moderate- if unsure whether the content is suitable for global and restricted, which speaks for itself. Content type , whether it be photos, videos etc. It is up to me to choose where my things fit. It allows others to apply filters to their searches and to see what they want to see.
Safe search allows me to control what turns up in my searches on Flickr and is always on.
Tags are keywords or labels that you add to a photo to make it easier to find later. What a great idea! I can also share photos witha group as long as I am a member of the group pool through the "Add to a group" link. Only people in the group can see photos.
Craetive Commons is an organisation that provides free licences for creators to use when making their available to the public. It helps the creator to give permission for others to use their work in advance under certain conditions of course. The creator is able to select how they want others to use their work. as a result us teachers and our students can legally freely copy, share or sometimes modifyand remix a CC without having to seek the permision of the author. It's a whole new world to explore !

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chris, I'm glad to see you use a bit of caution when using Flickr...it is still possible to come across inappropriate material if you are unlucky, or careless, as students may be. Still, there is a risk with using many web apps, and we have to weigh that against the learning gains that can be made by using them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris,

    Great job finding out all of that information about Flickr, and thanks for passing it on ;)

    I agree with what you and Scott have mentioned, that with this ease in image and video sharing comes the added need to step up our level of scruitiny and vigilance for the content that we are likely to be exposed to.

    ReplyDelete